Congress and Sustainability
Here at SPVS-VMG Congress, we believe in doing what we can to change the way we live and work to create a better, more sustainable future for us all. We know things don’t change overnight, but little by little, which is why every year we reassess how we can make Congress greener. This includes incorporating sustainability in lecture content throughout Congress.
Firstly there’s the SPVS-VMG Congress team. We’re continuing to make changes to the way the event is run – this year we’ll be:
- Recycling our name badge holders and lanyards so they can be used year-on-year
- Recycling existing delegate bags which will be offered to delegates on request only
- Cutting down paper usage by making everything digital including: offering full programme details as a digital download from website, introducing an event app for all attendees and supplying CPD certificates electronically
- Ensuring that any necessary printing is on sustainably sourced paper
- Our AV team are constantly looking to improve where they can too, and are continually updating their equipment to be more efficient. Six years ago, we had enormous hot tungsten theatre lanterns in our lecture rooms, now this is done with led lights consuming a tiny fraction of the energy.
- We’re supporting the local economy by promoting accommodation in local hotels. Wherever possible we have recommended hotels within walking distance of the hotel and for others we will be providing a shuttle bus service to cut down on car usage.
We’ll also be speaking to our fantastic sponsors and exhibitors to see what they can do, encouraging them to provide digital content rather than printed and discouraging single-use plastic free gifts?
Our venue, ICC Wales, also see the importance of decreasing their environmental impact. Click here for more information on their environmental policy.
Finally, there’s you, the attendees. This year, we’d love to encourage your contribution to this cause. Please bring your own re-usable water bottles and coffees cups. Can you travel by public transport or lift share?
Visit liftshare.com/uk to organise a shared journey to Congress. As a driver you can sign-up to share your journey details, and non-drivers can post requests for a lift.
If you’re travelling by train, ICC Wales have discounted rail via Great Western to Newport station, which is just a short journey from the venue.
We know this is just the beginning of a journey, but this is a path that hopefully we’re all choosing to take together and by doing so, we’ll get there one day.